Assimilationists want individuals to submerge their cultural identities in favor of nationalistic and patriotic ideals or organizational ideals in business settings. Assimilationists believe that our primary allegiance should be to the welfare and unity of our nation or organization. Immigrants and other sub-cultures should adopt the lifestyles, values, customs, and language of the dominant or majority culture.
- Foster a sense of cohesion and unity
- Demonstrate national, community, organization a land institutional loyalty
- Clearly define common identity, values, vision, mission
- Do whatever is necessary to “fit in”
- Work to preserve company and national traditions
- Help others adapt
- Monitor others’ adherence to rules
- Expect others to sacrifice aspects of their cultural identities
- Resist others’ desire not to “fit in”
- Use dated “Melting pot” model to promote assimilation
- Ignore or discount native experiences of immigrants
- Disregard the impact of race, ethnicity, culture and other identity differences have on success
- Adamant about holding on to “the way we’ve always done things” and traditional values.